Health & safety of the coating operator
The personal protection equipment of a coating operator includes:
- The hood or helmet:
- aimed at protecting the coating operator against particle spatters and exposure to dusts, while enabling him to breathe normally,
- when using an electric arc spray gun, the glass on the hood has to be tinted for protecting the eyes from the harmful effects of the electric arc,
- the hood has to be supplied with good quality breathable air,
- zinc fumes have an unpleasant odour and can cause zinc fever. This fever occurs a certain time after metallising and generally goes away rather quickly. If this is not the case, a doctor has to be contacted.
- An overall suit: it has to protect the front and prevent dusts from penetrating inside.
- Gloves: preferably made of leather which is non-flammable. They have to be thermally insulated and cover up to above the wrist.
- Safety shoes
- Ear plugs: for attenuating the level of noise caused by the metallising work.
Do not underestimate the impact of a simple contact